The natural beauty of the Falls is wonderful to experience during the winter season. The frozen Falls hangs over the peak like giant sparkling chandeliers glistening in the sunlight. There are many vantage points to take in the view, including the Niagara Skywheel, which is perched high above the Niagara river gorge.
Sitting at a height of 170 feet, the wheel is just over 3 feet taller then the Falls. You will be amazed at the exceptional bird’s eye view of not only the grandeur of Niagara Falls, but also the surrounding landscape as well! If you arrive after dusk, don’t miss the opportunity to see the Falls illuminated. Click here for the current: Niagara Falls illumination schedule.
Below are a number of stunning videos showcasing the Niagara Falls frozen phenomenon. Enjoy watching and get inspired to visit in-person this winter.
Drone Footage Of Frozen Niagara Falls | NBC Nightly News
The ice encasing the Niagara Falls, which has drawn in visitors from all over, isn’t expected to melt entirely until May. Drone footage captures this rare and beautiful occurrence.
Will Gadd’s Historic Climb Up Frozen Niagara Falls
Professional climber and one of National Geographic’s Adventurers of the Year, Will Gadd, took ice climbing to new heights by being the first person ever to ascend the frozen sections of the world’s largest flowing waterfall, Niagara Falls. Take an inside look at the journey behind Gadd’s historic first ascent.
Niagara Falls Frozen Solid (1937)
“NIAGARA FALLS FROZEN SOLID – Mighty cataract stilled by winter’s icy grip.” Niagara Falls United States of America (USA) / Canada. Succession of shots of the frozen Niagara river and Niagara Falls – people looking at frozen river. Houses around with people around. Several men working near the waterfall. They are on some sort of scaffolding – waterfall in background.
Frozen Niagara Falls: Deep Freeze Creates Winter Beauty
ABC News’ Gio Benitez reports from the tourist spot that looks more like a winter wonderland.
Frozen Niagara Falls – Winter 2021
Horseshoe Falls in Ontario, Canada
WEB EXTRA: Rainbow Over Partially Frozen Niagara Falls
Parts of Niagara Falls were covered in ice after weeks of cold weather. People visiting the New York side of the falls also caught a glimpse of this rainbow while snapping photos Sunday (2/21).
Niagara Falls USA Frozen Falls Winter 2018
Niagara Falls State Park, USA has transformed into a winter wonderland. Majestic snowfall and ice have coated the region and created a must-see spectacle. Visuals Courtesy of Rolando “Ro” Rosado
Niagara Falls becomes a ‘winter wonderland’ – BBC News
The world-famous waterfall is transformed into a winter wonderland as a cold snap presents shivering tourists with breathtaking views.
Frequently Asked Questions about Frozen Niagara Falls
Can Niagara Falls actually freeze?
- A: While the entire falls doesn’t freeze, the breathtaking phenomenon known as “Frozen Niagara Falls” occurs during extremely cold temperatures, creating stunning ice formations around the Falls.
How cold does it need to be for the falls to freeze?
- A: The temperature needs to consistently remain below freezing for an extended period. Usually, when the air temperature is well below freezing, and the mist from the Falls creates icy layers.
Does the entire Falls freeze solid?
- A: No, the entire falls doesn’t freeze solid. Certain sections and features, like the surrounding cliffs and rocks, can accumulate ice, creating a mesmerizing winter spectacle.
Can you still see water flowing during the freeze?
- A: Yes, water continues to flow beneath the ice formations, even during the freeze. The ice builds up around the Falls, forming spectacular shapes and patterns.
How often does Frozen Niagara Falls occur?
- A: It’s not an annual occurrence but happens during particularly cold winters. The frequency depends on the severity of the winter temperatures.
Is it safe to visit during the frozen period?
- A: Visiting during the frozen period can be safe, but it’s essential to dress warmly and be cautious of icy surfaces. Follow safety guidelines and check weather conditions before your visit.
What is the best time to witness Frozen Niagara Falls?
- A: The best time is usually during the coldest winter months, typically January and February, when prolonged sub-zero temperatures are more likely.
Are there any special events during the frozen period?
- A: Occasionally, special events or festivals may coincide with Frozen Niagara Falls, featuring activities and celebrations to enjoy the unique winter spectacle.
Can you take boat tours during the freeze?
- A: Boat tours are typically suspended during the frozen period for safety reasons. However, there are various viewpoints and platforms to observe the frozen beauty.
Q: How long does the frozen phenomenon last?
- A: The duration varies each year and depends on weather conditions. It can last for several weeks or just a brief period, so timing is key for witnessing this enchanting spectacle.